Normal operating times are between the hours of 0700 and 1700, Monday through Friday
No Weekends or Holidays
Job Specific Details and Tasks:
The contractor will process 10-15 correspondence requests daily as well as working to eliminate the existing backlog of requests, within established guidelines of the Sections with acknowledgement/follow-up made when medical information is not readily available.
Routine Requests - 30 business days unless there is a time line required by the requestor.
Stat Requests are processed the same day.
Duties of the position are as follows:
- Will serve as front counter receptionist receiving walk in, telephone and fax requests; follow-up and return calls to requestors on status of processing requests.
- Will receive and process all requests for the Outpatient Medical Records comprehensive release of information services.
- Will receive, review, and process all requests for release of medical information from walk in patients/customers, 3rd party requestors, e.g. insurance companies, Disability Determination, patient’s, other medical facilities, state and federal agencies, legal offices and other record requestors who represent insurance and attorney offices. Requests will be received in person, by phone, via mail, fax and other secured electronic media.
- Will be responsible for re-validation of authorizations and requests completed by the individual or organization requesting health information.
- Will provide photo copying of the appropriate section or part of the paper medical record to include the entire medical record in many instances in order to fulfill the request.
- Will access all electronic record systems to include but not limited to: AHLTA, ESSENTRIS, CHCS, HAIMS to process requests received.
- Will provide an invoice for requesters that are determined to be a billable request, which is defined as a third party, not eligible for a free photocopy (i.e. Legal offices, Insurance Companies, and others as determined).
- Will enter each request into an electronic, government viewable, logging system specifically for correspondence requests.
- Will request copies of records from outside military treatment facilities, community hospital/clinics and other outside doctors’ offices and medical treatment facilities.
- Will scan the Service Treatment Record (STR) and/or Active Duty Record.
- Will retrieve loose medical record documents from temporary files and electronically from CHCS/AHLTA/HAIMS electronic health record system and file in medical records.
- Will perform other administrative duties in support of the Medical Records Divisions as they are assigned by the Division Officer and/or Division Chiefs.
- Will obtain records from the shelves in the inpatient medical records division and prepare them to be photocopied, photocopy records, close out request and release records. Will return inpatient records back to the inpatient records department.
- Will access the commands electronic health record systems (AHLTA, ESSENTRIS, CHCS, etc.) to secure appropriate health information to process the request.
- Will obtain and return any secondary records located throughout the command needed to respond to the requestor.
- Will order/secure records retired and/or located at offsite storage facilities.
- Will answer and return phone calls, emails and walk-in requests within established HIPAA and Division guidelines.
- Will fax all priority or STAT requests to requester per facility and HIPAA guidelines.
- Will acknowledge and/or release complete information within established Division guidelines.
- Will respond to any other release of information duties that may arise during the normal working hours.
- Will request copies of medical records from other military treatment facilities, outside doctors’ offices/clinics and other medical facilities.
- Will maintain an invested attitude in the facilities mission and vision.